My Little ROCK – Reliable Organised Cooking Kitchen
– Creamy Apple, Fennel & Roasted Walnut Salad –
This salad is sweet, crunchy, creamy and delicious! Although its coated with a rich creamy whole egg mayonnaise the crispness of the apple, celery and fennel lightens the dish. It takes no time to put together however you need to account for the time it takes for the walnuts to cool.
3 -4 people as a side salad, but its really easy to double or triple the quantities for more people!
Time to table:
Number of Ingredients:
x 1 pink lady apple
40g fennel ( I used 1 baby fennel)
20g red onion
100g celery ( 2 or 3 sticks)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
60g whole egg mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the oven on to 150 C (Fan Forced).
- Grab all of your ingredients.
- Slice your apple up into matchstick slices (Not too thin! I’m just talking about the shape).
- If your using a baby fennel cut off the base, trim the top, cut in half and slice. If your using part of a large one chop off a chunk and chuck it on the scales to see how much you need.
- Slice up 100g of celery (2 – 3 sticks).
- Slice up 20g of red onion (Approximately 1/4 of an average red onion).
- Measure out the walnuts, lemon juice and whole egg mayonnaise.
1. Put your walnuts on a small oven tray covered with baking paper and cook for 10 minutes at 150 C (Fan Forced).
2. Add the whole egg mayonnaise and lemon into a mixing bowl.
3. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add your fennel, celery, onion and apple. Mix and make sure its evenly coated, have a little taste to check the seasoning.
5. Hopefully by this time your walnuts are out of the oven and the smell of nutty goodness is wafting through your home. Make sure they have a slightly darkened in colour and transfer them into a bowl to cool.
6. Once cooled add the walnuts to the salad.
Hints and Tips:
- This recipe is easy to make in bigger quantities as required.