My Little ROCK – Reliable Organised Cooking Kitchen
– Oven Baked Chicken with Capsicum, Tomato and Red Onion –
This oven baked chicken is so simple, easy and delicious! Having all those beautifully coloured vegetables cooked in with the chicken makes it meal in itself. The recipe come from Jamie Oliver’s Save with Jamie cookbook where he calls it Hit ‘n’ run Tray Baked Chicken. I’ve made a few alterations to make it a little simpler and to my taste but full credit to Jamie on such a simple amazing dish. I just love any recipe you can throw together and chuck in the oven!
4 people – This depends on the number of chicken thighs you use **See Note Below**
45 minutes – Depending on the size of the chicken thighs ** See Note Below**
Time to Table:
1 hour – Depending on the size of the chicken thighs ** See Note Below**
Number of Ingredients:
Large baking pan – I use a cast aluminium baking pan with a non-stick surface
4 large ripe tomatoes
2 red onions
1 red capsicum
1 orange capsicum
1 yellow capsicum
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
7 small chicken thighs (750g)
Salt and pepper
NOTE: I used 7 small chicken thighs (750g) and cooked them for 45 minutes for this recipe which will serve 3 – 4 people. You can use larger chicken thighs but remember it’ll take longer to cook and you’ll need to baste the chicken at least once during the process.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Grab out all your ingredients, peel your garlic, slice the tomato into quarters, onions into wedges and capsicum into strips (Make sure you leave out the seeds).
- Measure your thyme, paprika, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
1. Add your tomatoes into the baking pan.
2. Throw in the onion.
3. Chuck in the chicken.
4. Add all of your capsicums in.
5. Drop in the garlic and sprinkle over the thyme, paprika and add salt and pepper. Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
6. Give all of the ingredients a good mix so that everything is evenly coated.
7. Pull out the chicken pieces so that they sit on top of the vegetables. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until your chicken is cooked.
8. Serve the chicken on top of the vegetables.
Hints and Tips:
- You can serve this dish by itself, with a salad or with some creamy mashed potatoes.