My Little ROCK – Reliable Organised Cooking Kitchen
– Herb and Citrus Oven Roasted Chicken –
This recipe for oven baked herb and citrus chicken is easy and delicious! I tend to love any type of recipe that you can just whip together and chuck in the oven when your ready to ROCK! The chicken turns out with an amazing sweet citrusy taste and is juicy, tender and delicious to eat. I found the recipe at Georgia Johnson’s The comfort of cooking website which is definitely worth checking out if your looking for some tasty treats.
10 minutes – Plus at least an hour marinating time, you can leave it to marinate overnight if you prefer
45 minutes to 1 hour – Depending on the size of the chicken drumsticks
Time to Table:
2 hour – Depending on the size of the chicken drumsticks and the amount of time you want to marinate it for
Number of Ingredients:
Large baking pan – I use a cast aluminium baking pan with a non-stick surface
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons sugar
2 whole lemons – 1 sliced and 1 juiced
2 whole oranges – 1 sliced and 1 juiced
1 tablespoon italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1.2 kg chicken drumsticks
1 large brown onion sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
NOTE: I used 8 chicken drumsticks (1.2kg) and cooked them for 1 hour for this recipe which will serve 4 people. You can use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Grab out all your ingredients.
- Juice an orange and a lemon.
- Slice an orange, lemon and onion.
- Measure your olive oil, minced garlic, sugar, italian herbs, praprika, onion powder, chilli flakes dried thyme and rosemary.
1. Add the olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, italian herbs, paprika, onion powder and chilli flakes into a bowl.
2. Whisk it all together.
3. Grab a large oven tray and place the chicken in it.
4. Throw over the marinade.
5. Mix well and leave it to marinate for at least an hour.
6. Add your sliced onions to the tray and mix them around so they get covered in the marinade.
7. Position the onions evenly under the chicken.
8. Add the orange and lemon slices to the tray.
9. Sprinkle the chicken with the thyme, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.
10. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked.
Hints and Tips:
- You can serve this dish by itself, with a salad or with some creamy mashed potatoes and asparagus.
- You can serve this dish on a platter garnished with parsley.