My Little ROCK – Reliable Organised Cooking Kitchen
The following information is phrases and references I have found when reviewing recipes.
- Tender but firm to bite.
- Usually has reference to pasta.
- Food cooked in a shallow oven proof dish covered in breadcrumbs, sauce or cheese that gets finished off in the oven or grilled to crisp up the coating.
- Hot water bath used to diffuse direct heat.
- Keeps liquids and foods at a simmering point.
- A bowl that is placed in or on another pan of simmering water.
- Moistening food while its cooking by spooning or brushing on liquid.
Batons / Batonnets
- Vegies cut into small sticks that are approximately 5mm thick and 6cm long.
- To flatten out your protein with a mallet.
- Stirring vigorously……
- A process where something is boiled for a few minutes and then refreshed in cold water.
- Fruits and nuts can be blanched to remove their skins easier.
- To mix thoroughly.
- To bake an unfilled pastry case.
- Usually done by lining the exposed pastry with grease proof paper, filling it with pastry weights (rice or beans can be used too) and then cooking it in the oven.
- A combination of fresh or dried herbs and spices either tied together or combined in a cloth bag. Its used to flavour dishes while cooking and then removed prior to serving.
- Food that is slowly cooked in a covered pan.
- Prior to braising the food has usually been browned in come hot oil.
- When you place your ingredients in a hot liquid so that the flavour is extracted.
- To cook in a small amount of fat until its surface is browned.
- To split something like a prawn almost all the way through the centre. The two halves are then open flat to resemble a butterfly.
- To chill in the fridge but not freeze.
- To cut into pieces with a sharp knife.
- To cook something slowly just below simmering point.
- To blend concentrated liquid and deposits from the bottom of a pan using liquid.
- Removing the dark gritty poop tube from the back of a prawn.
- Use a knife to cut down the back of the prawn and then discard the poop tube.
- Dry roasting is done with nuts and spices in a dry frying pan over heat.
- To mix one liquid with another that normally doesn’t combine smoothly e.g.: oil and vinegar.
- Pieces of boneless meat that have been thinned out using a mallet.
- Gently incorporating one mixture into another……that’s the best I can come up with at the moment.
Fry – Deep Frying
- Deep frying is a cooking method that immerses food in large quantities of hot fat or oil.
- When deep frying your pan should be deep and wide.
- The food must float freely in the oil / fat when you deep fry.
- Cutting something into very thin matchstick strips.
- The process of adding fruit into sugar and alcohol to soften it and give it more flavour.
- Removing the bones from a fish with tweezers or pliers.
- Plunging something into iced water until completely cold.
- Something sliced extremely finely with a peeler or mandolin.
- Maintaining a gentle bubbling action after boiling by lowering the heat.
- To lift or discard unwanted particles on the surface of something.
- Cooking something on a low heat until tender without browning.
- The outer part of a citrus fruit removed with a knife, peeler or zester.
Do you have any other cooking terminology terms not listed on this page? I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below and I’ll add it to my list.